Saturday, October 15, 2016

The hubby's perspective on the Whole30


So this was the first diet I have ever done in my life. In general, I've always kind of held my nose up towards diets and healthy eating, as I have seen people take them to the extreme (especially in it dominating their conversations and social media lives :) ). But I digress..... :)

I am thrilled with the Whole30 results! Physically, these were my takeaways:

-I lost 17 lbs! :) Part of this was coming back to Russia after being in the US for the summer, and so the food here is healthier a bit less processed. Part of it also is because our city is really hilly and we walk everywhere here (including pushing both kids in a double stroller up hills). But still, that is impressive, 17 lbs in a month!

-I never felt stuffed after meals. This was really noticeable. Before, I would feel stuffed and my stomach would look bloated. It was nice not to feel that way for a month!

As far as food insights I had, here are a few:

-I got used to coffee without sugar (using coconut milk instead), and feel good about putting milk instead of sugar in my coffee moving forward

-My 2 favorite snacks were: trail mix (minus the chocolate, so cashews and raisins) and boiled eggs. I really liked boiled eggs as a snack b/c it tastes good and fills you up quick.

-I really missed drinking juice and milk in the mornings, as I am a big breakfast guy. Drinking water the rest of the day was no problem, but water in the morning just didn't feel right. :)

-I missed having fresh, soft bread to eat with soup, but in general it was nice not eating bread for a month. I think bread is another thing I'm gonna eat a lot less of moving forward........surprisingly, the burgers we ate with lettuce as a bun substitute were just as good! :)

In general, it was great to just do something together with Cristi for 30 days. Being in it together is why we made it through it, I think. We have had some good conversations since we finished about what other things we could do together for extended periods of time that would not happen otherwise if we didn't do it together. Probably a good life principle, huh?

-Andrew


No comments:

Post a Comment