Thursday, September 22, 2016

Day 12- Whole30 "Shrimp and Grits"

Even though I'm from the South, I never tasted Shrimp and Grits until I married my husband.  He introduced me to them and it was love at first taste :)  The first time I had them was at a restaurant and they were amazing and every other time I've ordered them out I've been disappointed because they never taste as good as that first time I had them.  So finally, a couple years ago, I decided to try to come up with my own recipe that would copycat what I remembered from the first time I ate them.  And this is the recipe I came up with and it is awesome.  I have made it SO many times over the past few years.


1) Saute 1/2 diced green pepper, 1/2 diced onion, 2 diced bacon slices until onions are translucent and bacon sizzles. 
2) Add 2 C shrimp, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 diced tomato. Cook til shrimp are pink. 
3) Add juice from 1/2 lemon, 2/3 C Half and Half, tobasco sauce, salt, & pepper to taste. 
4) Prepare grits according to box- gear towards thick. Add salt, pepper, butter, & cheddar cheese to taste. Pour amazing sauce on grits & enjoy!!

Now obviously that recipe is not Whole30 friendly.  So I adjusted it to make it Whole30 friendly.  I used cauliflower instead of grits and coconut milk instead of milk, etc.  We also happened to not have any shrimp when I made it, so it also had no shrimp in it.  Can I call it "shrimp and grits" if it actually has no shrimp and no grits in it??  Lol :)

Anyway, here's the Whole30 version:




1) Saute 1/2 diced green pepper, 1/2 diced onion, 2 diced Whole30 approved bacon slices until onions translucent and bacon sizzles. 
2) Add 2 C shrimp, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 diced tomato. Cook til shrimp are pink. 
3) Add juice from 1/2 lemon, 1/2 C coconut or almond milk, tobasco sauce, salt, & pepper to taste. 
4) Boil 1 whole cauliflower.  Once it is soft, drain water and add 1/3 cup olive oil or ghee and 1/2 cup coconut or almond milk. Blend with immersion blender.  Add salt, pepper, hot sauce to taste. Pour amazing sauce on "grits" & enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment